Here are some surprising facts about water bottles you probably didn't know about.
- Plastic water bottles take around 450 years to 1000 years to decompose.
- We have about 2 million tons of water bottles in our landfills.
- The making of the bottles to meet our demands uses more than 17 million barrels of oil annually.
- Americans used about 50 billion plastic water bottles last year, yet the U.S. recycling rate is only 23%.
- Nearly half of all bottled water is reprocessed tap water.
- Some bottles might be contaminated and cause health problems.
Go green and ditch plastic water bottles.
- Water pitcher filters are as efficient as 300 standard 16.9 ounce bottles. They filter about 240 gallons of water a year for about .19 cents a day.
- Tap water goes through more regulation than bottled waters since tap water is regulated by the EPA and water bottles are regulated by the FDA. It's cleaner and cheaper.
- Buy BPA free bottles for when you're on the go, they're reusable and can last you for years.
If you just can't part ways with your water bottles then recycle. Don't forget, when you recycle plastic, you're helping save energy, oil and landfill space.